Bat Conservancy of Coastal California (BCCC) is not advising anyone to try to capture bats themselves. You can call the BCCC Bat Hotline at 408-647-7228 anytime for assistance with a bat.
If you find a bat hanging from a wall or a tree and think it might be injured:
- Wait until evening and see if it leaves on its own. Sometimes bats look sick or hurt but are actually just sleeping!
- If the bat doesn’t leave once the sun is all the way down, contact us.
If you find a bat lying on the ground:
- Without touching the bat, use a cloth or a piece of paper to gently scoop the animal into a small container such as a shoebox
- Put a soft cloth into the box to give the bat something to cling to
- Cover the container and put it somewhere children and pets cannot disturb it
- Contact us immediately.